Analysis of Poetry: More Than A Day


More Than A Day

As Thanksgiving Day rolls around,
It brings up some facts, quite profound.
We may think that we're poor,
Feel like bums, insecure,
But in truth, our riches astound.

We have friends and family we love;
We have guidance from heaven above.
We have so much more
Than they sell in a store,
We're wealthy, when push comes to shove.

So add up your blessings, I say;
Make Thanksgiving last more than a day.
Enjoy what you've got;
Realize it's a lot,
And you'll make all your cares go away.

By Karl Fuchs

Analysis of the above poetry:

The poem above by Karl Fuchs is clearly about Thanksgiving. It consists of three stanzas, with five lines in each. The ending of the first two lines rhyme and then the ending of the second two rhyme as well. But that fifth line in each stanza rhymes with the beginning two lines. So as for my understanding the rhyme pattern would be AA, BB, and then A.  I believe this is just a free verse poem, I did research but couldn't seem to find any poems that match this particular structure. Anyone reading who may know the correct style of this poetry, please comment below to help my understanding! 


The title is extremely significant to the piece as a whole. The piece is trying to express to a reader that they have multiple blessings in this world. Those blessings shouldn't be cherished just one day out of an entire year. Karl's main purpose is to emphasize the importance of cherishing our blessings several times a year. To make our Thanksgiving love be spread on more than just a day. 

 Fuchs word choice is overall negative connotation in the first stanza. He uses words such as poor, insecure, bums, and rolls around. His purpose behind adding all of the negative connotation words was to embark a sorrowful mood in the readers. 

Then his word choice in the second stanza is all positive connotation. With his use of words like love, family, friends, heaven, wealthy, and more. Now Fuchs has altered the mood in the reader from being full of sorrow to now being full of hope.  

For the last stanza he collects both of those sorrowful and hopeful feelings together to convey a message to the reader. He says, "So add up your blessings, I say: Make Thanksgiving last more than a day. Enjoy what you've got; Realize it's a lot, And you'll make all your cares go away." The shift in mood increases the poets message, and increases the movement of feelings on the reader. Without the different moods in each stanza, this poems title wouldn't make very much sense, or have any significance. 

As a reader I personally felt moved by this poem. Though I may never feel poor, or like a bum, or insecure. The second stanza left a footprint in my mind to count my blessings that I do have. Because some days I do feel deprived when I don't get exactly what I want. But I am wealthy with love from my family and friends, and this poem helped me realize that. Even though today isn't Thanksgiving day. This poem made my cares go away, and helped spread the joy of Thanksgiving onto more than a day!


Comments

Popular Posts